Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mulder, it's me

(Which is the one thing I have ever/will ever want to shout into a cell phone, whenever the spirit moves me.)

I have to confess that I have been something of an inadvertent Luddite when it comes to mobile phones. I kept meaning to get one--my interest spiking each time we lost Mom somewhere in the wilds of the baseball stadium, or a piece of my old car fell off onto the highway--but I continued to forget about it with great regularity. For, oh, ten years. I was finally inspired to act by my recent college reunion (which was two months ago), when my peers were frenetically logging each other's numbers and calling each other from seminars and dorm room to dorm room and across the picnic table. I couldn't remember which rooms we'd all been assigned to, and without a phone was reduced to standing in front of various doors stage-whispering "Emily? Margaret? Emily? Hello?"

So. Today I have succumbed to a cell-phone offer from the auto-club, and then conducted a whirlwind pop-cultural volley with Sis over the IM.


Kim says:
Just signed up for a cell phone. Now the Borg OWNS me.
Sis says:
eeek
Kim says:
yeah. but also I am a teensy bit excited.
Kim says:
do you remember when I called you from the AirPhone ™ once when I was flying back to college?
Sis says:
yes
Kim says:
it was something like $4 a minute, and the size of a brick. heh.
Kim says:
anyway, cheapo AAA deal, $20/month for 100 minutes.
Kim says:
I figure I will never come close to using that much, as it's only for 1. "Where the fuck ARE you?" 2. "I have been run off the road by a truck, help" and 3. "Hello, Snappy Dragon? I'm on 520, have the potstickers ready for me."
Sis says:
are you going to start voting on America's Got Talent now?
Kim says:
Oh. And that too, of course.
Sis says:
hee hee hee
Kim says:
10 votes for BoyShakira, coming up
Kim says:
Or I can play the Hell's Kitchen games: "Which chef will give Ramsay an embolism tonight?"
Sis says:
Christ, that man gives me high blood pressure
Kim says:
funny, he makes mine all just float away!
Sis says:
Fuckin' donut
Kim says:
DONKEY! DONKEY! DONKEY!
Sis says:
GET OUT
Kim says:
If I had it in me to behave like that as a boss, this week would have gone a lot different


(Mark Blankenship via both PopPolitics and Elastic Waist, today; potstickers via the wildly careening Dragon!Wagons, if you live in the delivery zone, you lucky duck.)

No comments: