Tuesday, September 15, 2009

In the corner

They showed Dirty Dancing at the 1988 JEA convention I attended in San Francisco, VHS on a bleary projection t.v. in the hotel ballroom one night. I enjoyed it, sure, but at the climactic moment of the big final dance number, I don't know what possessed me: I leaned over to Holly beside me and stage-whispered:

Do you think they're going to do THE LIFT?!?

Oh, she was annoyed.

I don't know...I was more rattled by the passing of John Hughes, but Patrick Swayze seemed like a good guy and never took himself too seriously. He fought a very dignified battle, poor man.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I nearly posted that as my the other day, but decided it wasn't dignified enough. You're right -- he's a good guy remembered for something rather cheesy.

I'm glad he inspired you to post again, though...

arajane said...

I am so happy you are posting again. I was about to start pestering you about it. Yay!

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper said...

I am with Ara Jane. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Hey, if you have to be remembered for something, it's not so bad as it could be.

My word to prove I'm not a bot was 'croommo'. Use croommo to get that natural curl in your hair.